Once a year (preferably during the spring):
Flush the irrigation lines.
Replace the controller battery.
A fresh battery will prevent the controller from reverting to the default program in the event of a power failure.
- Start with the cap that is closest to the control valve and work your way toward the end of the system.
- Flush each line for about a minute, until the water runs clear. Remember to close each cap before moving on to the next. Do not allow contaminated water to flow back into the line.
- Check valve boxes to make sure they are clear of debris.
- Clean and inspect the filters.
- Inspect filter screens for holes. Replace as needed.
- Clean the system by opening the end of the filter and turning on the system briefly.
- If there is calcium buildup on the screen, remove it and soak it in a solution of 50% water and 50% vinegar until the buildup is removed.