AMWUA Press Room
JOIN OUR TEAM: Water Policy Analyst
A unique opportunity for a passionate, high-performing Water Policy Analyst to work on the major water issues of our time.
Since 1969, the Arizona Municipal Water Users Association (AMWUA) has been shaping solutions to Arizona’s water supply and management issues and playing an influential role in key water policy developments.
AMWUA is comprised of ten municipal members in Maricopa County who provide water to over 3.7 million people and to the businesses that drive Arizona’s economy. AMWUA facilitates discussion among our members and collaborates on policy and solutions for water challenges. AMWUA advocates for our members to ensure responsible water management continues to support economic prosperity and safeguards our members’ water supplies for future generations.
AMWUA is looking for a passionate, and high-performing water professional to join our team in the role of Water Policy Analyst.
The Water Policy Analyst assists the AMWUA Executive Director and other AMWUA staff to research, evaluate and formulate policies and positions on water issues that affect the AMWUA members. The position also works closely with the water resources advisors of the AMWUA cities and towns and interacts with other Arizona water entities. Major duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Research and write fact-based issue summaries, talking points, and detailed analyses for AMWUA to use in advocating for its members.
- Interpret, research, and evaluate water policy regulations in statutes, rules, policies and contracts.
- Compile numerical data from various sources for quantitative analysis.
- Track current emerging water issues and understand the history of such issues in order to generate technical, timely policy research.
- Attend and summarize water meetings, report on developing water policy issues, and alert members of potential impacts.
- Address ad hoc questions from member staffs.
- Review and summarize water-related bills during the legislative session
Position Requirements and Qualifications
Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree and at least three years of professional experience in water resources, natural resource management, economics, hydrology or a closely related field.
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess exceptional writing and verbal skills with the ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and simply to audiences of different levels of water expertise.
- Be comfortable solving quantitative problems and working with water-related datasets.
- Have the initiative to “dig in” and absorb and utilize the details involved with water issues.
- Be a critical thinker able to make well-reasoned and logical judgments.
- Be organized, detail-oriented, and naturally curious in exploring new ideas and challenges.
- Be intrinsically excited about solving water resources issues and developing sound public policy.
- Be able to discern and summarize the key discussion points and policy outcomes in meetings.
- Work cooperatively with others and build trust among stakeholders.
- Be committed to excellence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Be comfortable interacting in large groups and making public presentations.
- Be a team player willing to assist coworkers in a small office atmosphere.
The salary range for this position is $65,000 to $85,000 per year based on experience and qualifications.
AMWUA offers a comprehensive and attractive benefits package that includes:
- 5 Weeks of Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Life Insurance
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Retirement through the Arizona State Retirement System
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Flexible work environment with a hybrid schedule
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit a cover letter, resume and a writing sample with your application to Diana Pina at email@example.com. The first review of application materials will be November 18, 2022. Position remains open until filled.
If you have questions about this position, please contact Warren Tenney, AMWUA’s Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A PDF version of the job posting is available HERE.